Funded Child Care
Information for Parents
All 3 and 4-year-old children are currently entitled to up to 15 hours of free early education per week term time only From September 2017 this could increase to up to 30 hours of funded childcare per week if you are eligible.
This can also be taken all year round if available and the hours can be allocated pro rata.
What do I need to do?
- Check if I am eligible see criteria over the page
- Apply for a Childcare Services Account
- See Further Information link below
- Consider where I would like my child to have their early
education and childcare – see over page
- Discuss the options with the school / childcare provider
1. Eligibility Criteria
- both parents must be working (or the sole parent is working in a lone parent family), and each parent earns a weekly minimum equivalent to 16 hours at national minimum wage or living wage, and less than £100,000 per year
- working will include employed and self-employed persons
- in general families where one parent does not work (or neither parent works) will not be eligible for these additional hours
- both parents are employed but one or both parents is temporarily away from the workplace on parental, maternity or paternity leave
- both parents are employed but one or both parents is temporarily away from the workplace on adoption leave
- both parents are employed but one or both parents is temporarily away from the workplace on statutory sick pay
- one parent is employed and one parent has substantial caring responsibilities based on specific benefits received for caring or one parent is employed and one parent is disabled or incapacitated based on receipt of specific benefits
2. Childcare Services Account is a single on-line application for 30 hours
Funded Childcare and Tax Free Childcare. Tax Free Childcare is a new UK wide government scheme to help working parents with the cost of childcare. For more information www.gov.uk/government/news/tax-free-childcare-10-things-parentsshould-know
3. Where can my child have a place?
Nursery schools and classes, private day nurseries, preschools, childminders, independent schools and before and after school clubs
When can my child have a place?
Your child can start the term after their third birthday
A child turns 3 between Free Place From
1st September to 31st December Start of January (Spring Term)
1st January to 31st March Start of Easter (Summer Term)
1st April to 31st August Start of September (Autumn Term)
You can search for childcare providers near you at:
The DfE have produced a short film from one of the pilot areas in which parents describe their experiences of 30hrs childcare.
To apply for a school place click here or ring Stockport MBC on 0161 217 6028